Sid S <r03...@gmail.com> writes:

> your distribution probably comes
> with policies for everything you want to install, anyway...

...until it doesn't, and then what?

I attempted a full conversion a few months back, and was ready to make
some commitment to getting SELinux to work on my personal laptop.  I got
as far as Permissive mode, with a firehose of access violations in the
auditd log.  I had written a couple of scrappy policies to authorize a
few small one-off violations, with the help of audit2allow, but the
firehose was still gushing.

I use offlineimap for fetching mail, which doesn't have a policy.  Now,
if I ever wanted to switch from Permissive to Enforcing, I was required,
as an absolute SELinux n00b, to write a full policy for a non-trivial
mail application.  This is when I turned around.

I could have half-assed it with audit2allow, but security-wise that's a
cop-out.

Inevitably, there will always be some program I want to use with no
existing policy, and I'll constantly have this problem.

I realized that my personal workstation is a place I like to try lots of
software (don't we all like that about Linux?), and SELinux can be a big
wet blanket on the fun at any time.

I'd like to find a middle ground, and it might be Targeted mode (I was
attempting Strict).  Or, it might be a different system like AppArmor.
--
Erik Mackdanz