On 01/31/15 11:59, Dale wrote:
meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> [15-01-31 18:12]:
After recent upgrade my computer doesn't want to boot.  I did not do
anything with grub or kernel.
I get a bios flash and next is message:

GRUB loading stage2

and computer goes back reboot cycle, flash bios and the same massage is
displayed.
What went wrong during update?

--
Joseph

Hi Joseph,

may be only a accidental coincidence...
One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.

What is an empty BIOS coin cell?

If this is not the cause, check whether the stage2 grub
got deleted.

How do I check if stage2 grub was deleted?
Thanks for your help

OP, if it were me, I'd chroot in, re-emerge grub, reinstall grub to the
drive and then try to reboot.  It doesn't seem to me that it is the OS
itself or the kernel since it doesn't seem to get that far either.  It's
either a BIOS or a grub issue.  I'm thinking along the same lines of
Meino myself.  Since chrooting in is a bit of a pain, I'd cover the
whole field while in it.

Don't forget, you can use the -K option to install from binaries if you
save them.  That may save a little bit of time.

Hope that helps.

I boot strap from a CD and /boot and grup.conf looks normal the way I install
it.

title Gentoo Current Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal

--
Joseph