2005/9/18, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Well, that should work, but the 'better' way is simply to recompile the
> kernel so that ide-cd is statically compiled (* or Y, rather than M),
> and then it would be automatically loaded by the kernel when the device
> is discovered (which would also tell you if you have a hardware issue,
> because the device wasn't discovered during the normal hardware scan the
> kernel makes at boot).

Cd is always detected at boot - when scanning ide's - no matter if I
compile ide-cd as module or compile it in. It is not about hardware :)

> What runlevel is hotplug set to run in (rc-update show)? If boot, then
> the problem with having the module in /etc/modules.autoload.d is that
> the service (hotplug) is running before the module load, whereas if
> hotplug is set to run at 'default', it runs *after* the modules in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 are loaded, or at least that is my
> experience.

coldplug is in boot runlevel but is started after loading modules and
hotplug "is dead and buried" and... does not do much.

> But since you aren't likely to be hotplugging your CD device anyway
> (unless this is a laptop with an external drive), it just makes more
> sense to compile the driver (Device Drivers=> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
> support=> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support) statically (which I thought
> was the default kernel config setting anyway) and just let coldplug
> handle it.
>
> HTH,
> Holly

CD-rom is built into laptop...
I wanted to load my system faster than with everything compiled into core. :)
Is there a way to set this to load magicaly at system boot? I thought
that coldplug/holdplug should take care of this.

Thanks for help :D