On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 03:59:33PM +0100, Jan Sever wrote:
> On 02/14/2015 03:52 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Jan Sever <n...@email.cz> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I was looking for information about the source for checksums of installed
> >> files but I didn't find. I'd like to know whether Portage makes checksums
> >> (for equery check) from installed files in /, or in /var/tmp/portage. And
> >> similarly whether it makes binary packages (when asked) from /, or again
> >> from /var/tmp/portage. It'd make sense, it'd make it from /var/tmp/
> portage
> >> but I'm not sure of that.
> >>
> >> I have suspicion that my SSD doesn't work quite well, so I mount /var/tmp
> >> from memory and I'd like to know whether the final checksums and binary
> >> packages cannot be corrupted from SSD.

I always use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage, for the very most packages (with
the obvious exceptions), 2 Gigs of space are enough if you don't build with
debugging enabled.

> > Your question is somewhat awkwardly worded, but I think you are
> > looking for /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS.
>
> No, I am not. I know this location but I'd like to know where it's
> computed from. Live system or PORTAGE_TMPDIR?

You could tell portage to also build binary packages and put PKGDIR onto
another device¹. Once a package is installed, you can unpack the binary
archive¹ and verify the checksums on the extracted files, or simply use
something like dirdiff to compare / and the extracted tree.

¹ or maybe also a ramdisk, if you got the Megs
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.

The problem with HTML/CSS jokes: everyone understands them differently.