Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> writes:

> Hello, Lee.
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:26:05PM +0100, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> how do you read the log files when using syslog-ng?
>
>> The log file seem to be some sort of binary that doesn't display too
>> well in less, and there doesn't seem to be any way to read them.
>
> When I try "less /var/log/messages", less gives me what is basically a
> hex dump of the file.  I'm assuming you see the same.

Yes, that's what I was looking at.

> less searches part of the buffer (presumably the first few KB) and if it
> finds non-printable characters, uses an input filter first to convert to
> the hex dump.

Is that a new feature of less?  I've never had this problem with any
other file.  IIRC, unprintable characters, like null, used to be
displayed like ^@, and less always did a great job in preventing the
display from needing a reset without switching to an equivalent of
hexl-mode.

BTW, what happens when something writes to /var/log/messages?  I noticed
today that the default shorewall.conf that ships with gentoo has that
set as logfile for shorewall.  Shouldn't all messages going into
/var/log/messages go to syslog-ng instead when syslog-ng is used, with
nothing else writing to this file?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.