On Monday 19 September 2005 15:00, gentuxx wrote:
> does updating a package for a security fix using the "--oneshot" option
> update the same package that is "housed" in the "world" tree?

There is no world "tree". There is only a "list". --oneshot has no affect on
this list.

> If so, can I assume that the same package will be updated next time I
> update "world"?  Meaning, if I run "--oneshot" for
> mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r7 and mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r1 comes out, will
> 1.0.6-r7 be upgraded to 1.0.7-r1?

If it was in the world list prior to you running --oneshot, it'll still be
in the world list afterward. Hence, it will be updated with world.

> If every security fix comes out with "--oneshot" being recommended,
> how do I know if it's a dependency of a package in world, or an entity
> in world?  (This seems like an extension of the questioning above.)

What does it matter in the context of a security update?

> Also, for the most recent firefox update, I would run the command as
> recommended with the "-p" flag, and it would see the package.  If I
> run "emerge -Dupv mozilla-firefox" I only get a few of the (supposed)
> dependencies, and not the package itself, while the package installed
> (when I do "emerge search mozilla-firefox") is 1.0.6-r5.

If that is the case then 1.0.6-r5 is the latest version available for you
with respect to your current snapshot of the tree.

--
Jason Stubbs