Am Tue, 17 Feb 2015 23:31:26 +0100
schrieb Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de>:

> Am Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:45:38 -0600
> schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com>:

> > > I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the journal
> > > files?
> >
> > Those live under /var/lib/journal (which you need to create; Gentoo doesn't
> > do it by default last time I saw)
> [...]
>
> It did on my laptop after I migrated it to systemd over the weekend (on a
> whim,
> no less -- apparently I'm adventurous?). Or, to be more precise, I didn't have
> to create the directory myself. And wouldn't it be created at run-time,
> anyway?
> That's what I would expect, at least.

Dammit, I *wanted* to mention that I didn't have my laptop there to look, and
now I regret not doing it, because I was *actually* thinking
of /var/log/journal/ (which I still didn't create by hand, BTW).

I mean, it still contains journal files, and systemd-journald(8) says its the
default *persistent* journal location.  However, it is structured differently
than what you showed, namely:

% tree /var/log/journal/
/var/log/journal/
├── b3a495d35e890b80816684a4521fc1cc
│   ├── system.journal
│   └── user-1000.journal
└── remote

So it creates a directory named after the machine ID, which contains a system
journal and one journal per user.  And if it receives logs from remote
machines, those go into the remote folder.

Just, uh, just so you know...

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup