Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:41 AM, <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:

> journal

> usually
> journalctl.

> > > What Canek and Rich already said is good, but I'll just add this: it's
> not like
> > > you can't run a classic syslog implementation alongside the systemd
> journal.
> > > On my systems, by *default*, syslog-ng kept working as usual, getting
> the logs
> > > from the systemd journal.  If you want to go further, you can even
> configure
> > > the journal to not store logs permanently, so that you *only* end up
> with
> > > plain-text logs on your system (Duncan on gentoo-amd64 went this way).
> > >
> > > So no, the format that the systemd journal uses is most decidedly *not*
> a reason
> > > against using systemd.
> > >
> > > Personally, I'm probably going to uninstall syslog-ng, because
> journalctl is
> > > *such* a nice way to read logs, so why run something whose output I'll
> never
> > > read again?  I recommend reading
> > > http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/journalctl.html for examples of the
> kind of
> > > stuff you can do that would be cumbersome, if not *impossible* with
> regular
> > > syslog.
> >
> > Except that I get lots of messages about the system journal missing
> > messages when forwarding to syslog, so how can I make sure this does not
> > happening?
>
> Could you please show those messages? systemd sends *everything* to the
> journal, and then the journal (optionally) can send it too to a regular
> syslog. In that sense, it's impossible for the journal to miss any message.
>
> The only way in which the journal could miss messages is at very early boot
> stages; but with a proper initramfs (like the ones generated with dracut),
> even those get caught. You get to put an instance of systemd and the
> journal inside the initramfs, and so it's available almost from the
> beginning.
>
> And if you use gummiboot, then you can even log from the moment the UEFI
> firmware comes to life.

So, I get lots of messages in my regular syslog-ng /var/log/messages
like the following:
Feb 23 12:47:52 ccs.covici.com systemd-journal[715]: Forwarding to
syslog missed 15 messages.

So, I saw a post on Google to up the queue length, and I uped it to 200,
but no joy, still get the messages like the one above.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com