On Monday 23 Feb 2015 08:39:42 Walter Dnes wrote:

> Looks like it's time to play around with the "ip" command and try to
> duplicate my current setup.  Does anyone have a multi-route setup
> similar to mine configured with iproute2?  The net.example file says
>
> # If you need more than one address, you can use something like this
> # NOTE: ifconfig creates an aliased device for each extra IPv4 address
> #       (eth0:1, eth0:2, etc)
> #       iproute2 does not do this as there is no need to
> # WARNING: You cannot mix multiple addresses on a line with other
> parameters! #config_eth0="192.168.0.2/24 192.168.0.3/24 192.168.0.4/24"
> # However, that only works with CIDR addresses, so you can't use
> # netmask.
>
>   What exactly do they mean by...
> "iproute2 does not do this as there is no need to"

There is no need to create virtual interfaces like eth0:1 to be able to have
secondary IP addresses.  The ip command adds them to the same eth0 interface.

When I use VPN I can see that my interface has a secondary LAN address created
by VPN, but it does not have an additional virtual NIC.

The only thing is that if my primary IP address goes down temporarily, the
secondary address becomes primary and stays there.  I need to look at the VPN
configuration to see how to define the VPN LAN as a secondary subnet, but this
is not related to your question.

PS.  Did you look at setting your desired subnet rather than a local-link
auto-configured address at your HDHomerun device?

--
Regards,
Mick