Dale wrote:
> Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> In older versions of the dracut ebuild (<sys-kernel/dracut-036),
>> DRACUT_MODULES was used to select which modules to install.
>>
>> In newer versions, DRACUT_MODULES is no longer used; instead, all
>> modules are installed every time. That's why you see all the flags in
>> parentheses: the flags have been removed from the ebuild, but they are
>> effectively enabled now.
>>
>> Back to your logs, both of them say they cannot find the 'lvm2'
>> module. This makes sense because 'lvm2' is not a valid dracut module.
>> It seems like 034 just ignores this error, carrying on with building a
>> possibly broken initramfs.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the only way for that missing module message to
>> show up is if you have that non-existing module listed in some dracut
>> config file somewhere. You should check for stale files in
>> /etc/dracut/dracut.conf.d, and in /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d.
>> Remove any reference to the 'lvm2' module in the dracutmodules or
>> add_dracutmodules variables.
>>
>> If you still can't get it working, post the output of dracut --debug
>> foo.img somewhere please. Let's stick with dracut-041; I'm not
>> interested in debugging an older version.
>>

> Well, this is sort of weird but I guess they changed how dracut is set
> up completely as you said.  I ended up just commenting EVERYTHING out
> but the log file part and now I think it works.  I get this:
>
> root@fireball / # dracut --force /boot/initramfs-3.18.9-1.img
> Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force /boot/initramfs-3.18.9-1.img
> *** Including module: bash ***
> *** Including module: i18n ***
> *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
> *** Including module: resume ***
> *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
> *** Including module: terminfo ***
> *** Including module: udev-rules ***
> Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
> Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
> *** Including module: usrmount ***
> *** Including module: base ***
> *** Including module: fs-lib ***
> *** Including module: shutdown ***
> *** Including modules done ***
> *** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware ***
> *** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware done ***
> *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
> *** Resolving executable dependencies done***
> *** Stripping files ***
> *** Stripping files done ***
> *** Creating image file ***
> *** Creating image file done ***
> root@fireball / #
>
> My question now is this, does that build whatever lvm stuff is needed
> even tho it doesn't mention it?  I ask because /usr is on a lvm
> partition.  It sorta needs that little bit.  ;-)  Maybe I need to add
> that bit on the command line or something??
>
> The only dracut conf file I have is in /etc.  I have a dracut.conf.d
> directory in /etc but it is empty.  Since it changed how it was working,
> or not working, when I edited the file in /etc, I guess it is using that
> [...]

I think I typed to fast.  It seems I was still on the older version.  I
thought I had upgraded but it seems I had not.  So, sort of disregard
good in my opinion.

root@fireball / # dracut --force /boot/initramfs-3.18.9-1.img
Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force /boot/initramfs-3.18.9-1.img
dracut module 'bootchart' will not be installed, because command
'/sbin/bootchartd' could not be found!
dracut module 'dash' will not be installed, because command '/bin/dash'
could not be found!
dracut module 'modsign' will not be installed, because command 'keyctl'
could not be found!
dracut module 'network' will not be installed, because command
'dhclient' could not be found!
dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because command
'plymouthd' could not be found!
dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because command
'plymouth' could not be found!
dracut module 'btrfs' will not be installed, because command 'btrfs'
could not be found!
dracut module 'crypt' will not be installed, because command
'cryptsetup' could not be found!
dracut module 'dmraid' will not be installed, because command 'dmraid'
could not be found!
dracut module 'multipath' will not be installed, because command
'multipath' could not be found!
dracut module 'cifs' will not be installed, because command 'mount.cifs'
could not be found!
dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command
'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command
'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command
'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command
'iscsistart' could not be found!
dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command
'iscsi-iname' could not be found!
dracut module 'nbd' will not be installed, because command 'nbd-client'
could not be found!
95nfs: Could not find any command of 'rpcbind portmap'!
dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command
'biosdevname' could not be found!
*** Including module: bash ***
*** Including module: caps ***
*** Including module: i18n ***
*** Including module: dm ***
Skipping udev rule: 64-device-mapper.rules
Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-dm.rules
Skipping udev rule: 55-dm.rules
*** Including module: kernel-modules ***
*** Including module: lvm ***
Skipping udev rule: 64-device-mapper.rules
Skipping udev rule: 56-lvm.rules
Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-lvm.rules
*** Including module: mdraid ***
Skipping udev rule: 64-md-raid.rules
*** Including module: resume ***
*** Including module: rootfs-block ***
*** Including module: terminfo ***
*** Including module: udev-rules ***
Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
*** Including module: usrmount ***
*** Including module: base ***
*** Including module: fs-lib ***
*** Including module: shutdown ***
*** Including modules done ***
*** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware ***
*** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware done ***
*** Resolving executable dependencies ***
*** Resolving executable dependencies done***
*** Stripping files ***
*** Stripping files done ***
*** Store current command line parameters ***
*** Creating image file ***
*** Creating image file done ***
root@fireball / #

I see lvm stuff with no errors.  I'm pretty clueless on init thingys but
I think that is a good thing.

Thoughts?  Am I rebootable again?

Dale

:-)  :-)