On Monday 23 March 2015 21:51:04 Walter Dnes wrote:

> I have one of the earliest Atom chips.  Some people have a hard time
> believing this, but it's a 32-bit-only chip;  a couple of lines from
> /proc/cpuinfo
>
> model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520   @ 1.33GHz
> address sizes   : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual

I have a 32-bit Atom box too. The corresponding lines are:
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz

It has two cores though, and it does have mmx according to /proc/cpuinfo.

> I want to make absolutely certain that "illegal instructions" are not
> compiled for it.

I export its packages directory via NFS to a 32-bit chroot on my workstation
which I've set up to compile packages for it. I just have to make sure that
/etc/portage/* is the same and it just works. Well, there are a few
differences because the Atom box is the LAN server, but it's nearly the
same.

--
Rgds
Peter.