Dear friends,
trying out Gentoo after many years (mostly) on Debian.

Q1) I wanted to use the swsusp2 patch to the kernel. emerged a package and in fact it was an entirely new kernel tree with the patches included. The swsusp2 patches are not at the latest level and I am having problems (kernel oops) with this when suspending. What is the correct way to deinstall this second kernel tree, obtain the swsusp2 patches only (I would know how to do that manually of course).

Q2) I now have a nice bootsplash upon booting but the shutdown process is not shown (black screen and then poweroff). What's up ?

Q3) When emerging packages I get a message saying something like /etc 42 files need fixing (or similar do not have the machine here to try). What should I actually do ? Why this message ?

Thank you very much,
Bob