walt <w41...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/26/2015 07:15 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> <snip all questions I can't answer>
>
>> When I do a control-right-click on an xterm to manipulate fonts, the
>> xterm crashes.
>
> I had the same problem once.  IIRC, strace showed me that xterm was trying
> to load the "default" font but there was no value set for "default".
>
> Somehow I managed to set the "default" font, but I can't remember how it
> did it.  Maybe someone else can supply details?

My xterm shows that it's using the default font.  I would guess that the
default might be set through .Xresources or through command line
parameters.

There's not much explanation here, the following just works for me:

AFAIK, the font names are case sensitive.  For .Xresources:

xterm*FaceName:         xft:Source Code Pro:pixelsize=14:style=Regular

You can also use 'xterm -fa "LucidaTypewriter-16"', see man xterm.

Support for truetype must be compiled into xterm (x11-terms/xterm
truetype).  If you use fvwm with tt-fonts, also use 'truetype'.

As to fonts, I highly recommend "Source Code Pro" and "Source Sans Pro".
They finally resolved my long search for good fonts.  Unfortunately,
they don't come with Gentoo.  I copied them over from a Fedora
installation, so you might be able to extract them from their RPMs.

I haven't been able to create them from their sources, though.  It
requires some special program which didn't work.  Maybe someone knows
how to do that?

And for emacs, in .Xressources:

Emacs.FontBackend: xft

and in .emacs:

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "black" :foreground
"green" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 120 :width normal :foundry
"adobe" :family "Source Code Pro"))))
 '(font-lock-comment-delimiter-face ((t (:inherit font-lock-comment-face
:foreground "deep sky blue"))))
 '(font-lock-comment-face ((t (:foreground "goldenrod"))))
 '(font-lock-warning-face ((t (:inherit error :foreground "DarkSlateGray1")))))

with:

app-editors/emacs X athena Xaw3d xft -gtk -motif tookit-scroll-bars gif
imagemagick jpeg png svg tiff xpm gnutls gzip-el inotify libxml2 wide-int

To show which fonts are installed, there's 'fc-list'.  When you want
user specific fonts, put them into ~/.config/fonts/ and run 'fc-cache'.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.