On 30.03.2015 11:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 30/03/2015 11:23, Mick wrote:
>> Hmm ... I don't think setting abi_x86_32 globally is necessary, unless you
>> want to have 32bit libs for ALL packages that these exist for, whether you
>> use
>> them or not.  I mean that for Skype you have no alternative at present, but
>> if
>> you don't use Skype then you would not need the 32bit versions of Skype's
>> dependencies.  If my understanding is wrong, Alan will soon put me right on
>> this.  :-)
>

> You understand it just fine.

OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE this
and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?

Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?

I don't *want* to decide 32bit or not ... (I like that I *can* ...)

I want a (mostly) stable and current linux system with the necessary
choices done by the maintainers ... if Skype needs it ... ok, then make
that a dependency/requirement somewhere ... but why force me to set that
(for so many packages) ?

-

I removed the global flag now again and only had to add that flag for a
few packages now ... maybe because others have been rebuilt already?

Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought in the first place.

I hope that this is a desktop/GUI-issue mostly? Having to do that on
dozens of customer servers is not on my wishlist right now :-)

Stefan