Hi,

I need a pppoe client, no server part necessary, to replace the
black-box router because that thing sucks.

Which package would you recommend?  There seem to be at least two I
could use:

net-dialup/ppp
net-dialup/rp-pppoe

I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
re-established, preferably with good error reporting.  It would suffice
when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.