150410 Mick wrote:
>> On 10/04/2015 19:29, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>>> My Gentoo system is kinda old ... not in the sense of not being updated
>> regularly, but in the sense of "used for a (too?) long time"
> I still have a box running the same Gentoo installation since 2005.
> I had another which died due to hardware failure
> with its original 2003 installation.

Same here : I've never re-installed Gentoo in the same machine,
but updated weekly on the everyday system & less often on the others ;
ANB2 (2003) still opens up, but won't talk to today's mice,
ANB3 (2007) has a graphics-card problem, so can't boot intelligibly,
ANB4 (2012 : this one) has no software problems,
Horace (EEE-PC 2009) was recently updated successfully after  2 yr .

Short advice : you're probably wasting your time (smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca