On 20/04/2015 14:51, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Another > 5 yr server that needs some care.
>
> sys-fs/udev-151-r4 and a kernel without CONFIG_DEVTMPFS set.
>
> The old udev blocks openrc etc etc ...
>
> Aside from: "install from scratch" ->
>
> what happens if I upgrade udev before booting a kernel with
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS set?
>
> Problems?

Yes, it won't work. And the ebuild will error out.

> I'd like to upgrade udev, then install openrc etc ... before I can drive
> there and reboot the box.

You intend to drive there anyway and reboot it. Rebuilding udev & openrc
will probably take 15 minutes.

It's such a little time, why are you trying to save 15 minutes in
advance by taking an unknown and risky path? Just do everything on-site,
it's safest

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com