On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:01:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> When you use only LVM for this and nothing else, you have a high risk of
> losing everything if one disk fails. Why? Because LVM decides itself
> which extent it will put data on. Maybe a whole file is on one disk,
> maybe it's spread across two, because the software is designed so that
> you don't have to be concerned with that. The only thing that LVM does
> is expand your storage space as a single volume and make it easier to
> shuffle things around without having to backup/repartition/restore.

An alternative is to create a new volume group on the new disk and mounts
PVs at various points in your home directory. That way you get the extra
space and much of the flexibility without the risk of a failure on a
single drive taking out data on both. However, if you are concerned about
data loss, you should be using RAID t a minimum, preferably with an error
detecting filesystem.

> Personally, I like the ZFS approach and do it all in software, catching
> errors that RAID misses.

The same is also  possible with BTRFS, including built in RAID. RAID5 in
btrfs is expermiental, but its RAID1 is like RAID5 in some ways, such as
giving the capacity of n-1 disks and tolerating a single disk failure.

--
Neil Bothwick

PC DOS Error #04: Out of disk space. Delete Windows? (Y)es (H)ell yes!