Am 02.05.2015 um 07:04 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 01/05/15 10:44, Andrew Savchenko wrote:

>>> So it should be sufficient that the kernel does not use "float"
>>> or "double", shouldn't it?
>>
>> No. Optimizer paths may be very unobvious, i.e. I'll not be
>> surprised if under some conditions vectorizer may use float
>> instructions for int code.
>
> The kernel uses -O2 and several -march variants (e.g. -march=core2).
> Several other options are used to prevent GCC from generating
> unsuitable code.
>
> Specifying another -march variant does not affect the optimizer
> though. It only affects the code generator. If you don't modify the
> other CFLAGS and only change -march, you will not get FP instructions
> unless you use FP in the code.
>
> Also, I'd be very interested to see *any* optimization that would
> somehow transform integer code to FP code (note that SIMD is not FP
> and is perfectly fine in the kernel.) In fact, optimizers tend to
> transform FP into SIMD, at least on x86 (and other architectures that
> have fast SIMD instructions.) If I inspect the generated assembly from
> GCC or Clang, I cannot find FP anywhere, even for code using "float"
> and "double" operations. They get converted to SIMD on modern CPUs
> (unless you specify a compiler flag that tells it to use the FPU, for
> example if you need 80-bit extended precision, which is supported by
> the x86 FPU.)

http://www.agner.org/optimize/calling_conventions.pdf

Device drivers under Linux
Linux systems use lazy saving of floating point registers and vector
registers. This means
that these registers are not saved and restored on every task switch.
Instead they are
saved/restored on the first access after a task switch. This method
saves time in case no
more than one thread uses these registers. The lazy saving scheme is not
supported in
kernel mode. Any device driver that attempts to use these registers
improperly will cause an
exception that will probably make the system crash. A device driver that
needs to use vector
registers must first save these registers by calling the function
kernel_fpu_begin() and
restore the registers by calling kernel_fpu_end() before returning or
sleeping. These
functions also prevent pre-emptive interruption of the device driver
which could otherwise
mess up the registers. kernel_fpu_begin() saves all floating point
registers and vector
registers if available.
There is no red zone in 64-bit Linux kernel mode.
The programmer should be aware of these restrictions if calling any
other library than the
system kernel libraries from a device driver.