Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> writes:

>> Can you do all that with the binary files created by systemd?  I can't
>> even read them on a working system.
>
> What Canek and Rich already said is good, but I'll just add this: it's not
> like
> you can't run a classic syslog implementation alongside the systemd journal.
> On my systems, by *default*, syslog-ng kept working as usual, getting the logs
> from the systemd journal.  If you want to go further, you can even configure
> the journal to not store logs permanently, so that you *only* end up with
> plain-text logs on your system (Duncan on gentoo-amd64 went this way).
>
> So no, the format that the systemd journal uses is most decidedly *not* a
> reason
> against using systemd.

It is only one of the many reasons.  I don't find it advantageous to
have to waste additional resources to be able to read the log files.

> Personally, I'm probably going to uninstall syslog-ng, because journalctl is
> *such* a nice way to read logs, so why run something whose output I'll never
> read again?

If you like it, nobody prevents you from using it.  It's good to have
many options.  Just don't force others to use it as well.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.