On Sunday 17 May 2015 21:36:57 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2015-05-17 um 18:05 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> > Maybe I will. I suspect dodgy disks and I have a pair of new SSDs on the
> > way. Perhaps it's time for a rethink.
>
> perhaps one more thought to be thought right now:

(I overlooked this at the time.)

> skip mdadm and lvm ... and try btrfs as you have the chance on shiny new
> hardware

I also have a spare external hard disk, which I could experiment with for
snapshots etc.

> less layers, more features ... I definitely recommend giving this a try.

I do like the idea of having fewer layers and less complication. I'm doing a
bit of reading while awaiting the bits - the SSDs are here; all I need now is
the mounting brackets.

> tl;dr ... maybe you listed some reason to stick with mdadm/lvm2/xfs etc
> ... sorry in that case

No, it's just what I have at the moment.

--
Rgds
Peter