Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> [15-05-24 05:52]:
> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 03:34:09AM +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote
> >
> > What reasons disable fcron to send mail to me or root?
>
>   By convention, it seems that all MTAs have symlinks at
> /usr/bin/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Programs
> that automatically send email, expect to find "sendmail" symlinks.  Do
> you have those symlinks from msmtp?
>
>   My most embarressing linux moment was when ssmtp sent output from
> verbose cron jobs to root (at me).  My ssmtp was configured to simply
> re-route everything to my ISP's MTA.  The net result was that the output
> went to root@my_ISP "They were not amused".  That was when I learned
> about setting the destination for all userids < 10 to myself.  I also
> ran a script designed to break the symlinks and prevent portage from
> making sendmail symlinks...
>
> rm -r /usr/bin/sendmail
> rm -r /usr/lib/sendmail
> rm -r /usr/sbin/sendmail
> mkdir /usr/bin/sendmail
> touch /usr/bin/sendmail/.keep
> mkdir /usr/lib/sendmail
> touch /usr/lib/sendmail/.keep
> mkdir /usr/sbin/sendmail
> touch /usr/sbin/sendmail/.keep
>
>   That worked great for a few years.  Portage output an error message
> about being unable to symlink, but continued.  Then portage changed the
> failure mode to shut down portage when it was unable to create
> symlinks... AAARRRGGGHHH.  Now when that happens, I remove the
> "sendmail" directories, run emerge to build ssmtp, and then run the
> script to break the symlinks.  I know that it's redundant, after setting
> destination for uid < 10, but "once burned, twice shy".
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>
> I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

Hi Walter,

This is, what I have found:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Feb 11 19:25 /usr/bin/sendmail -> /usr/bin/msmtp

My email address (see above) is different from my userid on my Linux
box and (personally) I dont have configured anything which alias
my userid to my email address or vice versa.

I will now try to let fcron to mail to me (my userid so to speak)
instead of root since the fcrontab is alos mine.

When I do something like this

    cat <file> | mail <my userid>

or

    cat <file> | mail <my userid>@localhost

I get

    send-mail: recipient address <my userid> not accepted by the server
    send-mail: server message: 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments
    send-mail: could not send mail (account default from /home/<my
userid>/.msmtprc)
    Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 65

    send-mail: recipient address <my userid>@localhost not accepted by the
server
    send-mail: server message: 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox
unavailable
    send-mail: server message: 550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record
    send-mail: could not send mail (account default from /home/<my
userid>/.msmtprc)
    Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 65

Question for me is: Is "server" my ISP's server? Or a default error
message" or something which is exspected to be installed at my Linux
box?

By the way:
> That was when I learned
> about setting the destination for all userids < 10 to myself.  I also
> ran a script designed to break the symlinks and prevent portage from
> making sendmail symlinks...

It may be, that I have to learn it too. ;)
What shall I do to acchive this?

Best regards,
Meino