Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> Over the last few weeks I've been having odd things go bump in the night.
> This is a KDE amd64 system with /usr under / and no initrd.

> 50 to 55C, which seems normal enough. Could I have something
> misconfigured in  the kernel?

Well I'm going to share a problem I have right now. If you suffer from it,
it could affect a myriad of different applications with different symptoms.
I do not know if this will help you, but it's work checking into.

Eselect news list 2015-3-28 lists "True multilib support on amd64"

For me, I run a simple profile:  [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0 *

Because I run lxde and have experimented with several other minimalistic
desktops, including lxqt. Currently, I run lxde. If I emerge with the --deep
option, I get so much breakage that 3000 lines of scrollback is not enough
to get to the head of the problem. Many errors contain the common string
"abi_x86_32" which is central to the aforementioned news item. I have read
this news item many times, tried many ideas, and still have this phantom
problem.   I can delete some packages had at the update, hours to days,
get it cleaned up to where -D works and a couple of emerge --syncs later
the problem reappears. Global update without (-D) --deep are just fine.

I have no idea if this "phantom issue" relates to yours or not. I have
hesitated to post about it, because in  a decade of gentoo usage (and there
have been some ruff patches to say the least) I have never experienced a
transient recurring problem like this.   I think I need a much longer
version of that news item and some cook_book syntax to fixing these
(phantom) multilb issues on my amd64 systems that I am experiencing.

Some simple questions::

1. How do you test if indeed a system is multilib?
2. Can a system be change, readily, from multilib to not and then back?
3. Is a more specific profile needed for one where you intend to
run only a minimalist (lxqt) desktop (than what I listed above)?

Note:: My ultimate goal is minimal desktops (lxqt) on most  systems and
excess  resources pledged (dynamically) to a meso cluster underneath my
gentoo systems.

Comments and guidance are warmly appreciated.
Peter I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but enquire as to commonality.

hth,
James
"