On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> > > How do I determine [...]
>
> > Choose the directory to which you would put the symlink
> > (I suppose ..../armv7a in this example).
>

> # PORTAGE_PROFILE=/usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm/armv7a eix -c --system
> No matches found.
>

> Surely I'm not the first person curious about the default or other
> profile listing of packages for @system on different architectures?
>
> I've tried all sort of command syntax and manually parsed up and down
> these directories.
>
> Pick any embedded arm profile and *please* show me the syntax to
> determine the @system packages to be installed associate with any
> embedded arm profile?
>
> please?
>
> James

 $ eix -c --system
[I] app-arch/bzip2 (1.0.6-r6{tbz2}@06/28/14): A high-quality data
compressor used extensively by Gentoo Linux
[... lots more lines like this ...]
[I] virtual/shadow (0{tbz2}@06/28/14): Virtual for user account management
utilities
[I] virtual/ssh (0{tbz2}@06/28/14): Virtual for SSH client and server
Found 44 matches.

$ PORTAGE_PROFILE=/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a eix
-c --system
[I] app-arch/bzip2 (1.0.6-r6{tbz2}@06/28/14): A high-quality data
compressor used extensively by Gentoo Linux
[.......]
[I] virtual/shadow (0{tbz2}@06/28/14): Virtual for user account management
utilities
[I] virtual/ssh (0{tbz2}@06/28/14): Virtual for SSH client and server
Found 42 matches.

(this is an almost identical list, but not the 44 vs 42 matches found in
each case)

Note that default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a profile is building on the
arch/arm/armv7a (what you searched against).

As I understand it, the profiles in arch/arm don't contain any packages
files, so there's no @system packages to list (as you found). I presume
that the arch/arm/... profiles are intended to define compiler flags etc
for cpu variants, and are used as a basis of a more complete profile (such
as default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a). If you look through
/usr/portage/profiles/profiles.desc, you see the list of all profiles which
would be selectable through 'eselect profile', and I don't find and
arch/... profiles listed in there.

Hope that helps...

Bruce

:b