On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 6:41 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>> <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > how about not using an ancient kernel?

>> I'd hardly call 3.16 ancient, but it isn't a supported stable kernel.
>> If you want longterm I'd stick with 3.18 or 3.14.
>
> Thanks, anyway to tell which ones are supported?  The distributions are
> all over the place, ubunto is 3.13 and I think Debian Jessie is 3.16.

Well, the stable versions in portage are supported by the Gentoo
kernel team.  I personally have started using upstream kernels, and
the stable version of those can be found on kernel.org.  If you want
to run the really old series you're probably going to have to babysit
things a lot more - recent versions of software like udev doesn't
always support the old kernels (according to the Gentoo udev page it
seems like udev 216+ is likely to have problems with pre-3.7 kernels).

If you stick with an old non-longterm kernel you're not going to be
getting security backports and fixes for regressions.

But, as far as Gentoo support goes (such as it is), gentoo-sources is
really the intended experience.

--
Rich