Steven Lembark <lembark <at> wrkhors.com> writes:

> Solution that works for me:

>  - Compile the kernel with everything built-in leaving modules for the
>    few things that really need to be reloadable. Turn everything in
>    the bloody thing off. This avoids the need for a kernel-specific
>    filestem in the initrd.

I have to prune your posting per Gmane rules of brevity.

>  - This since you don't need any modules in the initrd a
>    simple, static solution with busybox and init something
>    like:

I like what you have posted, very much.

>  - Run grub2-mkconfig once.

>  - Never touch the grub.cfg file ever again (unless you switch the
>    boot filesystem type). If I went from XFS -> btrfs for the root
>    filesystem I'd have to hack the "insmod xfs" entries, nothing
>    more.

I'm not ready to use this on my main system, atm. However, I have
been contemplating a new level of (gentoo) install that is less
than a default (basic) install with a reduced number of packages.
I even have decided to put all the tools (codes, packages etc)
onto a separate partition (usb stick) related to compiling.
The idea is to build up from scratch what is needed; with a verified
DAG of the installed system. Your approach to kernel and boot management
is something I'm going to have to experiment with a bit before
confidence would allow me to put this idea into my critical path.

I am very fascinated by your approach. It does look a wee bit like
bootstrapping a LFS or openVZ system. Do you have some resources for
recommended reading?

Do you use this in a virtualized approach to system management?

curiously,
James