In my opinion the installer is the last reason people do not use Gentoo.
Look at the other distros out there without a graphical installer.  One of
them is one of the most popular distros out there.

Gentoo experiences a difficulty pulling in more users for many reasons.

Firstly there is a large majority that do not understand Gentoo's package
system.  They know they have to compile things.  They may not even be aware
that emerge exists.  On top of this, they feel it takes an exorbitant
amount of time to install things.  Then, they ask what the benefits to this
method are.  They do not understand the benefits that use flags provide or
the time they save.   They see it as not worthwhile.  I often hear "that
makes sense in an embedded environment but that's it."

People need to understand the benefits of Gentoo more clearly.  A clear
depiction of the philosophy and goals (which in my mind is fairly evident
already) helps with this.  We need to as users explain the benefits of
Gentoo vs the so called perceived cons.

--
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.