On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I have bindist set in make.conf. I'm not sure why, as it has most likely
> been there a while..... I have plent of compiler power...

It is part of the stage3 default make.conf, so it isn't surprising
that you have it.  Most users will probably want to turn it off.

Bindist removes features as necessary to avoid installing software
which isn't redistributable.  For example our install CDs and stage3s
are built with USE=bindist, since we have to redistribute them.
Setting this flag gives firefox the iceweasel treatment and may
exclude patent-encumbered code.

So, set it per your preference.  Since the stage3 was built with
USE=bindist it sets it by default, and that is the safer preference in
any case.  License-purists might prefer to leave it this way and that
gives you an experience similar to debian main repository, etc.

--
Rich