On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am 06.08.2015 um 18:59 schrieb Jc García:
>> OpenRC is there on the stage3, systemd isn't, if you don't think about
>> systemd you get an OpenRC installation, I think it would confuse more
>> people to talk about choosing init system(especially noobs) right at
>> the beginning of the handbook.
>
> To get a really systemd-free system you unfortunately need to do two
> additional steps:
>
> 1. Add USE="-systemd" to your /etc/portage/make.conf
> 2. Add INSTALL_MASK="/lib/systemd /lib32/systemd /lib64/systemd
> /usr/lib/systemd /usr/lib32/systemd /usr/lib64/systemd /etc/systemd" to
> your /etc/portage/make.conf

You're defining "really systemd-free" in the same sense that the FSF
defines a "really free" distro (they think Debian FOSS-only isn't good
enough).  Sticking with the base profile should get you an experience
about the same as what you'd have gotten 4 years ago before anybody
heard of systemd, and going as far as you suggestion may cause
problems if you use software that has been subsequently merged into
systemd, but which is still available standalone (think udev/etc).

But, to each their own, that is the Gentoo way.  Just don't file any
bugs if something breaks purely as a result of doing the steps above.

--
Rich