walt wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:34:08 -0500
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> walt wrote:
>>> Affirmative, and thereby hangs yet another woeful tale. I've been
>>> running the gentoo-sources-3.14.xx series forever because I wearied
>>> of spending so many hours debugging unstable kernels. This morning I
>>> decided to take a giant leap forward all the way to 3.18.19 (BTW
>>> 3.18.20 is already on kernel.org) because, surely, I wouldn't need
>>> to debug a kernel as old as that, right? Wrong. Linus and friends
>>> have been marking lots of existing kernel symbols with the
>>> SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL macro, which was designed to block the loading of
>>> any kernel module not explicitly licensed as GPL software. (see
>>> output of modinfo) x11-drivers/ati-drivers installs a proprietary
>>> binary blob (as does nvidia-drivers) so the linker refused even to
>>> link the kernel module into a .ko file, nevermind the kernel
>>> actually loading the module at runtime. The remedy for ati-drivers
>>> is well-hidden in a comment in a gentoo bug report that I found at
>>> oh-dark-hundred hours this morning. Only two hours later I got the
>>> module installed and loaded :) But yes, kernel 3.18.19 still has my
>>> same keyboard halting problem, so I'm back to 3.14.50 until the
>>> ati-drivers package is patched. I'm sure gentoo-sources-3.18.20
>>> will be available almost immediately and I'm not going through that
>>> hell again.
>>
>> Interesting info.  I haven't been able to get new kernels to work
>> either.  I wonder if this is why.  o_O
> I've skimmed some of your threads involving initrd (maybe raid?) but I
> don't participate in them because I don't use either initrd or raid so
> I have nothing to offer.
>
> If your problems are caused by non-loading kernel modules, though, it
> should be easy to find out by running modinfo -l on each kernel module.
>
> Here is the cause of my problem this morning:
>
> #modinfo -l /lib/modules/3.18.19-gentoo/video/fglrx.ko
> Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
>
> BTW, I post-edited a typo I made in the text you quoted:  I typed
> SYMBOL_EXPORT_GNU when I really meant SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL.  I could have
> typed SYMBOL_EXPORT_RMS because I conflate the three into one synonym :)

No RAID here, although it would likely be a good idea.  I just have /usr
on a separate partition.

I build my kernels with everything built in.  The only module I have is
Nvidia but that is one thing that doesn't work at times.  Sometimes, it
doesn't want to boot all the way.  It doesn't even get through the
kernel loading everything up at times.

I need to work on this some time soon.  Problem is, I rarely reboot.
Generally, power failure is about all that will get me to
shutdown/reboot.  Recently tho, lightening has done the job.  My
neighbor got hit last week.  Their DSL went out, blew up a outside wall
plug and took out my land line, tho I rarely use it either.   They live
a quarter mile away but it sure was loud.  I'm surprised that side of
the house still had windows.  Anyway, maybe I will get around to it one
of these days.  At least 3.18.7 is working OK.

Dale

:-)  :-)