Am Wed, 19 Aug 2015 21:13:01 -0400
schrieb Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org>:

> So, who cares what they think?  They don't get to write the law.  When
> Linus says stuff that is smart, I'll admire him for it.  When he says
> stuff that is dumb, I'm not afraid to say that the emperor has no
> clothes.

What do you think of the input the lawyers he went to gave him [0]:

"Linus, however, believes that GPL-only exports are significant.

    I've talked to a lawyer or two, and (a) there's an absolutely _huge_
    difference and (b) they liked it.

    The fact is, the law isn't a blind and mindless computer that takes what
    you say literally. Intent matters a LOT. And using the xxx_GPL() version to
    show that it's an internal interface is very meaningful indeed.

    One of the lawyers said that it was a much better approach than trying to
    make the license explain all the details - codifying the intention in the
    code itself is not only more flexible, but a lot less likely to be
    misunderstood."

In the rest of the email [1] he writes:

    "I think both them said that anybody who were to change a xyz_GPL to the
    non-GPL one in order to use it with a non-GPL module would almost
    immediately fall under the "willful infringement" thing, and that it would
    make it MUCH easier to get triple damages and/or injunctions, since they
    clearly knew about it.

    I suspect programmers make horrible lawyers. They nitpick on details that
    sane humans don't. I think programmers often end up forgetting about the
    fact that human interactions don't work that way. Common sense makes a lot
    of difference, and DWIM is not just possible, but it's the only thing that
    matters.

                Linus"

[0] https://lwn.net/Articles/154602/
[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/154603/