On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:33:54 +0200, Pawe__ Madej wrote:

> I'll describe my situation: My laptop has only one usb port and
> normally I have plugged to it my mouse. When I want to copy photos from
> my digital camera I have to unplug mouse and plug usb cable to camera.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a small USB hub?

> 1. I plug camera and I got it under /dev/sda1 device
> 2. I unplug it and plug once more ... this time it is the
> same /dev/sda1 device
> 3. I uplug it once more and plug my mouse and unplug it
> 4. I plug my camera and this time it is under /dev/sdb1 device

Use udev to set up persistent device names, base don the device itself,
not when it was plugged in. Then your camera would always appear
as /dev/camera, or whatever name you choose.

Read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml then follow the link to
writing udev rules at the bottom.

--
Neil Bothwick

Normality is restored. Any problems remaining are your own.