On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:17:46 -0400, Michel Catudal wrote:

> I don't care for the automatic ways of grub2, I prefer to edit the boot
> file by hand and have a nice command line screen.

As you can with GRUB2. grub-mkconfig is a convenience, mainly for
providers of binary distros so they can update the boot menu when
installing a new kernel package.

The info pages document the config file and how to edit it manually.

> With grub1 you just
> tell it what type of display you want.

As you do with GRUB2, just read the docs.

--
Neil Bothwick

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System