On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 09:45:30PM +0100, Jonathan Wright wrote

> In theory, yes it is sort of obsolete - sse and sse2 are the preferred
> method. However, so long as you have specified -march=pentium4 (and
> -mcpu=pentium4 or -mtune=pentium4 with >=gcc-3.4) mmx/sse/sse2 will be
> implied as part of the compilation process.
>
> As for mplayer - unless you set the appropriate use flag, then almost
> all C(XX)FLAGS will be remove from the process as (like gaim) it is
> notoriously flaky with anything other than the basic settings.

  I'm running gcc 3.3.6.  I just ran "emerge --sync" a few minutes ago.
Running "emerge --ask --deep --update --world" doesn't mention gcc.  Are
you unmasking a test version?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca