On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 09/04/2015 06:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:

>> I'd definitely recommend using "git bundle" for this.
>
> For a "complete and total backup" my money's on tar. Using `git bundle`
> is a nice way to package "commitish" things like commits, tags, and
> branches, but there's a lot it will lose: stashed files, uncommitted
> files, local repo configuration, and all hooks.
>
> Those can be especially important dealing with outsourced developers who
> do all sorts of goofy things they shouldn't do.

Good point.  A git bundle will store everything that would end up on a
remote repository if you did a push.  That is a pretty good way of
looking at it.

I'd still recommend a git bundle all the same, but you should give
thought to the purpose of serializing your repository and use the
right tool.

--
Rich