On Wednesday 09 Sep 2015 19:01:24 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2015-09-09 um 04:20 schrieb James:
> > I have posted several links on the subject previously [1]; here's one
> > [2].
>
> [..]
>
> > If you can afford it, get a mobo that supports DDR-4.
> > Right now the AMD-HBM Fury-X is the video card with the
> > highest bandwidth for a memory buss on a video card, if
> > you can find one for sale:: limited production right now.
> >
> > RDMA Remote Dynamic Memory Access is the principal finally available
> > in gcc....
>
> Thanks for the pointers, I will read through that thread soon.
> So this means chosing CPU *and* GPU accordingly :-)
>
> I didn't plan to buy a separate video card at all as my usage is quite
> office/terminal-style without gaming or video stuff. The integrated
> graphics of modern core-i7xxx should be enough to run my 2
> 24-inch-monitors. But if the GPU helps speeding up things ... I have to
> consider this as well.
>
> Digging up that thread now somewhere ...
>
> Stefan

I built last Christmas a Kaveri APU based PC, with two 23" monitors and no
external GPU.  This is a PC used as a workstation for coding, image processing
and the odd video transcoding.  No gaming.  Using stable radeon driver.  The
performance of this machine has really impressed me when compiling packages,
but I don't have the latest generation i7 to compare it with.  Unlike noisy
discrete GPUs this thing is really quiet and doesn't consume much power
either.  The Asus MoBo has a port for an external GPU, but I don't think I
will ever bother getting one - certainly not new.  ;-)

I have been thinking that the better compiling performance compared to my
other older PCs can't just be CPU specific, it must be all these additional
HSA-enabled compute cores that are doing some of the heavy lifting.  I don't
know how to check this though.

--
Regards,
Mick