On Thursday 22 October 2015 18:01:10 James wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was just reading about "lighspark" [1] and at first glance, it seems
>to be a replacement for adobe flash with support for the latest
>features. Lightspark can be found with::
>'eix -R lightspark'
>

>You may also need to run 'eix-remote update' if you have not updated
>that database of extended-availability packages......
>So anyone tried lightspark with mozilla browers (seamonkey, ff, etc)?
>

>Granted we all just wish flash would go away and be replaced by something
>else that is open source. But, I need to view some flash deliverables
>on a routine basis:: so this post is about better support for flash
>in browsers. I am really tired of adobe-flash.
>

>[1] http://lightspark.github.io/

I tried that a good while ago, but at the time I had no luck.  However, that
was a few years ago.

Personally, I actually uninstalled adobe-flash almost exactly two weeks and 2
hours ago :-) .  I haven't really missed it, and youtube-dl (well, mpv's
built-in youtube-dl support) helps with the few sites that still don't support
HTML5 video.  I practically never encounter any other type of flash content.
(I consciously decided that I don't care about flash games, so they don't
count.)

One other interesting project in the direction of replacing adobe-flash is
Mozilla's Shumway, which is, AIUI, basically a Flash interpreter written in
JavaScript.  With it, you wouldn't even need a browser plug-in.  It is
considered an experiment, though.  See the following links:

https://blog.mozilla.org/research/2012/11/12/introducing-the-shumway-open-swf-runtime-project/
http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2012-11-12/shumway-a-swf-interpreter-entirely-in-javascript/
http://www.areweflashyet.com/shumway/
https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/wiki