On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Jeremi Piotrowski
<jeremi.piotrow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is one of the problems with copy-on-write filesystems - they make
> disk space accounting more complicated especially with snapshots.

Indeed, it is one of the problems with copy-on-write anything.  Shared
memory is a similar situation - do you count glibc in RAM one time or
many?

It also gets complicated with compression and dynamic mirroring and
such, though at least in these cases a better prediction could
probably be made than is often done.

Free space usage in these cases really needs to distinguish between
shared/exclusive space, but in the case of the former it will probably
never be easy to display in a concise manner just what you need to do
to reclaim that space.  Obviously shared space can only be reclaimed
if all its references are deleted.

The flip-side of this is that copying data is really cheap.  Alias cp
to cp --reflink=auto and you can use a copy in many situations where
you might have previously used a hard/symbolic link.  Obviously all
three of those do different things, but before I had reflinks I found
myself using hard/symbolic links when they were less than ideal.

--
Rich