On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 02:19:40 AM Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:

> >> For some reason, cups just doesn't like HP, at least in my case.  I've
> >> had that problem for ages until a couple years or so ago.  I always used
> >> cups to setup and mange the printer.  After getting enough of it one
> >> day, I stopped cups.  I then set up the printer with hplip.  It took
> >> less than a minute to do to, just keep clicking next for me.  After I
> >> did that, I don't think I have had to delete/readd the printer since.  I
> >> know I have updated both cups and hplip too, likely several times.  No
> >> telling what has been updated that they depend on.
> >>
> >> Maybe I got lucky or maybe just not using cups works.  Odd thing is,
> >> when I rebooted later, cups started automatically and the printer still
> >> works and the printer shows up in cups.  It's been working ever since.
> >> So, kick cups out of the way, set it up using only hplip stuff and see
> >> what happens.  Heck, it just may work.  :/
> >>
> >> Now if I can just get Seamonkey and Firefox to stop defaulting to
> >> English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States) I'll be even
> >> happier.  o_O
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >>
> >> P. S.  I got my elcheapo ebay cartridges today.  It still prints fine.
> >>
> >> :-D   Oooo, pretty colors too.
> >
> > Same here.
> > I use hp-setup to configure the printer once and then it "just works"
> > without further thinking. (Apart from having to switch it on)
> >
> > I stopped using inkjet/deskjet/... printers years ago after having another
> > one ruined by dried up ink.
> > Currently happily using a laserprinter with a network-cable :)
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> I wish I could get me a laser printer.  I'm dipping off into electronics
> again and will have to make PCBs and they say laser printers work
> better, although I have had a couple tell me ink jets work just as good
> now, maybe better.  Still, toner doesn't seem to mess up like cartridges
> do.  Just keep the stuff in a relatively dry spot and it's ready to go
> when ever you need to print.

I find laser printers to be more expensive initially, but considering the
amount of pages I can print per toner cartridge, compared to what I used to
get out of the same amount of ink (comparing monetary costs), I find laser
printers to be cheaper.
Inkjet only seems to work if I print a lot. For occasional printing, lasers
are more reliable.

But I only print on paper.

I though PCBs are hard? How do you get those through a printer?

> Glad to know that the way I set up my printer works for someone else
> too.  Hmmmmm.

I had to rethink how I did it as it's been working without issue for a few
years now. And I do update regularly.

--
Joost