On Thursday, November 05, 2015 11:31:31 PM the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 11/05/2015 11:06 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > Please do not top-post.
>
> Thank you for reminder :-/
>
> > On Thursday, November 05, 2015 07:17:38 PM the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> When it comes to price I think the 1TB SDD is expensive in my case +
> >> $177.99CAD warranty (though I don't know if I need warranty, or why they
> >> are charging me for it)?
> >
> > It might be extended warranty. IOW, more then the usual factory warranty.
> > I would ask them about that.
>
> I think it might be Extended Warranty (I'll take it out), it is not
> worth it.
>
> >> =========
> >> GRANT TOTAL:                                                       $1420.98
> >>
> >> PS. Expensive like for a small box.
> >
> > I can't comment on prices, been a while since I looked into a new desktop.
> > If that were Euros, I'd find it a lot for what you get.
>
> No, that was in Canadian Dollars $1420.98 in Euros it would be 952.53
> and in USD 1054.92
>
> >> Maybe I don't need 32GB or RAM but even 16GB RAM would save me only
> >> $112.99
> >
> > My laptop has 16GB Ram and it works quite nicely. Doesn't use swap often.
> > Also allows me to run VMs comfortably.
> >
> >> You might be right, maybe I'll add one HDD for backup (good suggestion).
> >> The killer is my 1TB SSD $499.99CAD
> >
> > Get 1 SSD for the OS, software and your home directory. (240GB is usually
> > enough)
> > And 1 big HDD for your data.
>
> I think I'll get rid of Extended Warranty and take a this 1TB SSD
>
> > Keep your documents and other data out of the home directory if doing
> > this.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Why keeping document our of the home dir.?

Here is how I do it:

1 SSD (small, but big enough):
- OS + Software + Home directories

1 HDD (Large)
- Documents, Media,....

The reason I do it this way is:
- SSD is fast and a lot of software tends to use the home directory for it's
data, configuration,....

Problem with SSD: They are expensive when getting the bigger versions.

- HDD is a lot cheaper and documents tend to be read once, edited for a
lengthy period, then written once. Which is fine for HDD.

The only exception I have to the above is my laptop.
That one has a large SSD, but only because of the G-force restistance...

--
Joost