Francisco Ares <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> My locale language is "pt_BR" (Brazilian Portuguese), and many
> applications now support native translations.
>
> And there is the "pt" possible LINGUAS entry, and there is no "pt_PT"
> (Portugal spoken Portuguese), for instance, neither any derivatives
> for other Portuguese speaking countries, which possibly have their
> own regional differences.

You can add locales by editing /etc/locale.gen and running locale-gen.
As i saw in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, pt_PT is supported.

> There are a few applications that do not distinguish "pt_BR" from
> "pt" and treat Portuguese language as simply "pt". An example is the
> OCR program "tesseract", that builds language specifics according to
> the LINGUAS environment variable.
>
> Is there a way for specifying particular "LINGUAS" for individual
> packages?  I would not like to have to build dozens of applications to
> include "pt" to my "LINGUAS" definition just to have "tesseract" to
> include my native language support.  I've found some old messages
> about this on the net, but did not get any real solution.

You can define package specific environment variables for package
builds in /etc/portage/env/

If you need package specific environment variables for runtime you
could create simple scripts to set the env and start the program.

#!/bin/sh
#
# start_tesseract.sh
#
LINGUAS="pt"
tesseract

Then modify the according menu entries / starter buttons to use the
script.

> Or should I ask the "tesseract" package maintainer to add "pt_BR" to
> the available options?

That's a good idea.

--
Regards