Lucidasanstypewriter-12 is still my favourite xterm font.  A long time
ago, it switched from ISO8859-1 to ISO10646.  Fortunately, I had 2
machines, and salvaged the /usr/share/fonts directory from one, and
still insert it in place of whatever portage gives me.  I realize that
it's an ugly hack, and I'd like to do things the right way.  The problem
is that I can't figure out how.  I'm doing a re-install on a machine, so
I can play around a little bit.  On the fresh install when I include...

/usr/bin/xterm -bg black -fg cyan -geometry +0+0

...in my .xinitrc and launch X manually.  The xterm is rather small.
When I {CTRL}{RIGHT-CLICK}, the xterm dies and disappears.  Meanwhile,
on the text console that launched X is the message...

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font found

  Note that I did not specify any fonts.  My Google-fu didn't help very
much.  The best suggestions I found were to...
a) put all sub-directories in /usr/share/fonts into FontPath statements
in xorg.conf
b) run "xlsfonts > textfile" and search for a font

  I found a bunch of 8859-1 fonts, and chose "b&h luxi" fonts (put
special characters in the name, why don't you?).  I inserted the
following into my .xinitrc (backslashes are required).

/usr/bin/xterm -bg black -fg cyan -geometry +0+0 -fn -b\&h-luxi\
mono-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 &

...and started X.  This time the xterm did not die on {CTRL}{RIGHT-CLICK}.
Only "Default" font size and "Unreadable" worked properly.  All other
choices ended up with a middling font size when I cycled through the
choices.  The text console from which I launched X reported...

/usr/bin/xterm: cannot load font '5x7'
/usr/bin/xterm: cannot load font '6x10'
/usr/bin/xterm: cannot load font '7x13'
/usr/bin/xterm: cannot load font '9x15'
/usr/bin/xterm: cannot load font '10x20'

  Some progress, but I'm not there yet.  I'm sure people have working
setups.  Any ideas?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>