On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 17:51:32 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 04:34:33 PM Mick wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 14:18:20 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > > sqlite is nice, for single threaded applications.
> > > For anything more advanced, either a wrapper is required or something
> > > more advanced needs to be used.
> >
> > I like sqlite because it is self-contained, embedded in the application
> > that uses it and accesses the data directly with functional calls,
> > rather than looping around port/socket interfaces to speak to a server.
> > This is why I kept it, since with Kmail1 it is not used much.
>
> SQLite never was reliable with akonadi. That might be why so many people
> had all those issues.
>
> > With Kmail2 the database will be hammered so as you say will need
> > something that can process things in parallel at speed and in higher
> > volumes. So, I'm planning to install postgresql for this purpose, since
> > in my experience mysql has had a number of hickups with akonadi.
>
> My experience as well, which is why I switched to Postgresql.
>
> > Can you please advise what GRANTS did you use to create a dedicated
> > postgresql user for akonadi?
>
> Grants?
> I did the following:
> % createuser -P <akonadiuser>
> (NOTE: You need to set a password, which is why I use the "-P" option)
>
> % createdb -E UTF8 -O <akonadiuser> <akonadidb>
>
> My config for this is:
>
> % cat .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
> [%General]
> Driver=QPSQL
>
> [QPSQL]
> Name=<akonadidb>
> Host=localhost
> Options=
> ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
> InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
> StartServer=false
> User=<akonadiuser>
> Password=<akonadipassword>
> Port=5432
>
> [Debug]
> Tracer=null
>
> > Will the same user be used for Baloo indexing, or is this an additional
> > database role?
>
> Afaik, no. Baloo uses it's own database engine.
>
> For the USE-flags:
>
> app-office/akonadi-server postgresql qt4
> (all other USE-flags disabled)
>
> --
> Joost

Thank you very much Joost for holding my hand on this.  Last question for the
day:  It seems that postgresql wants to install xemacs as a dependency ... o_O

# emerge -uaDv emerge dev-db/postgresql

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-postgresql-1.2.1::gentoo  4 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-ctags-1.18::gentoo  9 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-emacs-1.18::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-db/postgresql-9.4.5-r1:9.4::gentoo  USE="ldap nls pam
readline server ssl xml zlib -doc -kerberos (-libressl) -perl -
pg_legacytimestamp -python (-selinux) -static-libs -tcl -threads -uuid"
LINGUAS="en -af -cs -de -es -fa -fr -hr -hu -it -ko -nb -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk
-sl -sv -tr -zh_CN -zh_TW" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_4"
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" 17,248 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-editors/xemacs-21.4.24::gentoo  USE="X berkdb gdbm gif
gpm jpeg ldap png tiff -Xaw3d -athena -canna -dnd -eolconv -freewnn -motif -
mule -nas -neXt -pop -postgres -xface -xim" 8,383 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-xemacs/xemacs-base-2.27::gentoo  524 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-xemacs/emerge-1.11::gentoo  60 KiB

Total: 7 packages (7 new), Size of downloads: 26,225 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Why is this?

--
Regards,
Mick