<waben...@gmail.com> writes:

> lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> <waben...@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
>> Can it be that the client is simply too slow compared to the server to
>> give it any significant load?  (The client isn't exactly slow; it's
>> slow compared to the server.)
>
> I used a pentium 4 laptop as client and two phenom2 quadcore pc as
> server. I don't remember the settings that I used but I think it
> was something about -j10 or so.
>
> When I compiled large programs, the load count of the servers was
> high most of the time and they were very busy with compiling. Only
> at linking time they were waiting for new data.
> Compilation time was much lower than without distcc.

The load average only goes high on the client.  The server is too fast
to notice.

> However when I compiled small programs, the benefit of distcc was
> very small or even null. Also compilation time of OpenOffice was
> very long, because of the -j1 setting in the ebuild.

I haven't emerged libreoffice yet --- that might take very long.

> I don't know the reason of your problem. Maybe you should try it
> without pump mode to see if this makes a difference.

Hm, that's worth a try.

> Have you used distccmon to see what happens while compiling? IIRC
> it shows you exactly what's going on at each host (preprocessing,
> compiling, waiting). Maybe this will bring some light into the
> whole thing.

It doesn't show anything but blank lines --- it might compile too fast
for anything to show up.  I can see in /var/log/messages that things are
being compiled, like this:

distccd[29727]: (dcc_job_summary) client: 192.168.3.33:38604 COMPILE_OK
exit:0 sig:0 core:0 ret:0 time:372ms x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ drvvtk.cpp

The gui monitor doesn't seem to exist.