On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:16:48 +0100, lee wrote:
>
>> > I would run btrfs on bare partitions and use btrfs's raid1
>> > capabilities.  You're almost certainly going to get better
>> > performance, and you get more data integrity features.
>>
>> That would require me to set up software raid with mdadm as well, for
>> the swap partition.
>
> There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains anything
> of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each disk and let
> the kernel use the space as it wants.

So, while I tend not to run swap on RAID, it isn't an uncommon
approach because if you don't put swap on raid and you have a drive
failure while the system is running, then you are likely to have a
kernel panic.  Since one of the main goals of RAID is availability, it
is logical to put swap on RAID.

It is a risk thing.  If your system going down suddenly with no loss
to data in your regular filesystems isn't a huge problem (maybe this
is Google's 10,000th read-only caching server) then by all means don't
put swap on RAID.

The important thing is to understand the risks and make an informed decision.

--
Rich