Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> [16-01-11 18:20]:

> > On Mon, 11 January 2016, at 3:02 p.m., meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > When starting Firefox with a clean new Profile with no
> > Addon.s added, it is possible to /watch/ (watch != hear)
> > a HTML5 video played from the YouTube site. But there is
> > nothing to hear...
> >
> > The audio system of my Gentoo Box seems ok, since playing
> > a video with mpv from the commandline let me watch
> > and hear it.
> >
> > The YouTube-Page, which checks Firefox for the availability of
> > HTML5 video cpapabilities says "OK! GO!"
>
> Do these things work:
>
> 1. Other audio in your browser (e.g. Vocaroo, SoundCloud &c.)
>
> 2. Other HTML5 video sites. (I don't know which are HTML5 and which are
> flash, these days, so I'd try Vimeo, the BBC, newspapers sites, Pornhub,
> Redtube).
>
> Just to be clear: are you sure it's HTML5 video you're watching on YouTube?
> How do you know? Is no flash player installed?
>
> Stroller.

Hi Stroller,

more detailed:
I created a new profile and added some not related addons.
Then I checked some settings under about:config and surfed
to check-page for html5 by Google/Youtube: Everything is fine.

Then I tried to watch/hear a video on YouTube:
WATCH: OK
HEAR : FAILED

dmesg shows nothing
the commandline, from where I started firefox shows nothing related
too.

A right click onto the running video shows setting for the HTML5
player of firefox.

Then I installed the addon "Flash for YouTube" (similiar) and started
the same Video: Viola!
WATCH: OK
HEAR : OK

A right click onto the running video display "Adobe Flash Player".

Other video sites:
VIMEO: Same situation
BBC: blocked because I am not in the UK
Pornhub, Redtube: Not tested (for obvious reasons)
Dailymotion: Went crazy...total confusion of the site
Vocaroo: not tested (privacy concerns)
Bandcamp: The site does not react nicely (playback does not start at
all)

Since the HTML5-player starts, when I disable Flash and the flash
format is not playable with a HTML5-player at all (I get a video
running ... only the sound is missing) I am quite sure, that it
is HTML5. The test page by Google/Youtube also states that my
Firefox is "HTML5 ready/capable".

Oh, how I like music videos without sound.... ;)

Best regards,
Meino