On Monday 11 Jan 2016 20:10:53 Stroller wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 January 2016, at 6:48 p.m., waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
> >  The other problem is that HTML5 sucks up more CPU for video.  My data
> >
> > point with an ancient underpowered Atom netbook watching a Youtube music
> > video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA
> >
> > Flash
> > =====
> > 1) Regular (i.e. smallest) display plays OK
> > 2) Wide format display plays OK
> > 3) Fullscreen audio OK, but video stutters badly
> >
> > HTML5
> > =====
> > 1) Regular (i.e. smallest) display plays OK
> > 2) Wide format audio OK, but video stutters badly
> > 3) Fullscreen; you don't really want to know
>
> That must be the codec or the resolution or something, surely?
>
> Or possibly the way your browser implements things.
>
> My understanding is that Flash™ is a compiled bytecode. So any video player
> written in Flash has to go through an extra step of translation, at
> runtime, for its instructions to be translated into native code.
>
> I believe different plugins may be written with different security
> frameworks - giving a plugin permission to talk directly to the GPU has
> more serious implications than the browser taking a 480x360 video stream
> and drawing it in the window itself. And one of those (the latter, I
> think?) will have more processing overhead, too.
>
> But I find it hard to believe that Flash it's generally more efficient to
> run Flash programs than native ones.
>
> Note that the video you refer to is available in two different formats at
> its best resolution - vp8 and avc1:
>
>    $ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA -F
>    …
>    43           webm       640x360    medium ,  vorbis, vp8.0
>    18           mp4        640x360    medium ,  mp4a.40.2, avc1.42001E
> (best) $
>
> Undoubtedly one of these codecs is a bit more efficient than the other.
>
> Stroller.

I tried to play it with a default profile and the flash plugin disabled.  This
is the stream that right-click/stats for nerds shows:

Video ID: cwqhdRs4jyA
Dimensions: 640 x 480
Resolution: 480 x 360
Volume:100%
Stream Host:
Stream Type: https
CPN: CRD2ZLDNKPRMg_WO
Mime Type: video/webm; codecs="vp8.0, vorbis"
DASH: no (43)

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the audio.
--
Regards,
Mick