Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM,  <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sharing files can be done via SCP/SFTP. If a VPN connection is used,
> > then even NFS or FTP are possibilities.
>
> I have 100 computers.  I want a user on those 100 computers to be able
> to share a file on their computer with just me.  On windows they just
> right-click and pick sharing, search for my name on the domain, and
> grant me permissions.  You're not going to get an experience anything
> like that with scp or nfs or ftp.  Heck, nfs is almost completely
> insecure in the way most people use it.

I'm an absolute windows noop. I only use it for graphics work. I even
didn't know that such a kind of file sharing is possible with it. :-)

> I don't just want to copy a file from point A to point B.  I want to
> have a robust set of permissions and security and so on behind that.
> If a user changes their password, that password gets them access to
> everything they used to have access to, and none of those random
> clients ever see the password.
>
> Sure, you can do it on linux with lots of NFSv4 and kerberos and all
> that.  But it is painful to set up and almost nobody actually seems to
> do it as a result.  You can also do something like Bitlocker on linux,
> but there isn't a single distro that supports it out of the box
> because it uses a lot of features nobody has bothered to seriously
> develop.  (Before somebody points out LUKS, be aware that Bitlocker
> lets you do full-disk encyption that is secure without having to
> actually type a decryption key at any point.  Remove the hard drive or
> boot from a CD, and the disks are unreadable - you can only read them
> if you boot off them on the original PC.)

I never thought about such operating ranges. But maybe these are some
of the reasons why windows held 43% of the server OS market share in
Q4/2013, according to an article that I read some months ago.

> It is just a bit frustrating to behold.  But, I'm getting what I'm
> paying for, so...  :)

That's right. I think that the effort and the outlay to implement all
these features into Linux is relative high. It seems that no vendor
is willing to assume such a financial risk.

Maybe it is time for another crowd founding campaign? ;-)

--
Regards
wabe