On Monday, January 18, 2016 09:45:28 PM Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 01:46:45AM +0100, lee wrote:

> > > Yes

> > > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
> >
> > Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea.  Overcommitting
> > memory is not possible with xen.
>
> Depends on how the load is. Right now I have a 500GB HDD at work. I use
> VirtualBox and vagrant for testing various software. Every VM in
> VirtualBox gets a 50GB hard disk, and I generally have 7 or 8 at a time.
> Add in all the other stuff on my system, which includes a 200GB dataset,
> and the disk is overcommitted. Of course, none of the VirtualBox disks
> use anywhere near 50GB.
>
> All Joost is saying is that most resources can be overcommitted, since
> all the users will not be using all their resources at the same time.

If disk-space is considered too expensive, you could even have every VM use
the same base image. And have them store only the differences of the disk.
eg:
1) Create a VM
2) Snapshot the disk (with the VM shutdown)
3) create a new VM based on the snapshot

Repeat 2 and 3 for as many clones you want.

Most installs don't change that much when dealing with standardized desktops.

--
Joost