On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 05:25:37PM +0100, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to determine the size of the contents of all directories of a
> tree of directories on a hexacore AMD64 machine with 4GB RAM an one
> harddisk (containing that tree) -- most efficiently (least time
> consuming).

A bit late to the game, but here is my way for this.
For a one-off thing, I use the already-mentioned excellent ncdu, which
provides vi-style navigation and even offers interactive deletion.

du is a viable option for quick use on smaller lists. But when it comes down
to actual comparable lists to be stored and archived, I like to use tree. In
particular, I use it to store lists of content of my external harddisks, so
I can find out what I stored where without having to turn the disks on,
including used disk space.

For that purpose, I use two different outputs. One paints the tree as such
using ascii art, showing the size next to the indented name:
tree -ax -n --du -h --dirsfirst

The other one is a tabular format that is easier to look at in long lists,
because it aligns size and date and prints the whole path, which also makes
it easier to diff:
tree -afx -DFins --dirsfirst --du --timefmt "%F %T"

Tata
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I had a problem and used Java. Now I have a ProblemFactory.